Thursday, February 27, 2014

Tchaikovsky


Lavra, add that to the now overflowing list of places we cannot see in Ukraine. One of the oldest and most historic churches in Kiev is now off limits, the reason being, it’s Russian orthodox and is unfriendly to Americans and Ukrainians a like. They support Russia and are upset that Ukraine wants to be part of the European Union. I find it sad that churches are now starting to participate in this bickering between the two sides. Churches are supposed to be helpful in times like this but yet they are picking sides. I don’t think it’s right. It’s sad really.

For the most part things are starting to turn back to normal where I am at right now. People go to work and carry about their normal life even though there is a war threating to break out in the midst of all of  this. We are able to go on adventures before classes again and enjoy being outside. However we still can’t be out at night and we can’t visit anything in the center of town (were there is protesting still happening). Sadly the center has the most history out of any of the other parts of town. I really hope to see the center soon. if not I might have to get 'lost' and go myself. I think I would be ok.  

On an adventure we took yesterday we stumbled upon a museum of the most famous composer in Ukraine’s history. The tour was free and it was in ENGLISH! It was broken English but I was just greatful they put in the time to tell us about the composer and his life. At the first floor there was information about where he grow up and his family. The second floor was his house and there were all original furniture and items that belonged to him. We were able to look as long as we liked and take at many photos as we liked. It was amazing! There also was a piano in almost every room. I got to play one in his sitting room. To fit the mood I played Yann Tiersen’s Comptine d'un autre été. After I played the song the tour guide said that this piano was played by tchaikovsky himself! Amazing! knock that off my bucket list! We also got a CD of his music for free and a post card, for free! The guides were so kind and I would easily go back and pay money to go there again. It had to be one of the best adventures so far! just think, we stumbled on this all by mistake as well. it makes me want to get out and get lost more other because you don't know what kind of amazing things you might find. 

on most nights after dinner my family likes to watch films with me. I enjoy this most of the time but sometimes I almost fall asleep during them because we put them on late sometimes. I force myself to stay up though because I don't want to seem like they bore me, I just get really tired. Most of the time they pick out the films but sometimes they ask me what I like. So last night we watched the movie the hunger games. I told my host dad about this book a couple weeks ago and said that I really liked it and the film was good as well so last night he wanted to watch the film. Not a good choice. The government is rich and powerful and makes it’s people work to the grave, the president is evil and has loads of money and it’s about the people overthrowing the government. it sounds so much like a Ukrainian's life right now. I didn't even think about it until half way through the film. 

Normally after the film we talk a little more, sometimes about the film, sometimes about other things, no matter how tired I am or they are. I could be practically falling asleep on the couch but they will still be talking to me. They are so funny.  but anyhow last night  after the film all they said was that it was good and then we all went to bed. I’ll chalk that up to being one of my opps moments. I don't think they liked the film to much.

the piano it's self was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment