Thursday, February 20, 2014

update status


Things have not gotten any better here. At first today we were going to teach and I thought it could be improving but I was sorely mistaken as the early morning faded into mid morning. In fact they have gotten much worse then things that had happened yesterday. It has all gone south. All the teachers have been placed under “house arrest” again but this time I’ve been talking to friends and family to make time past faster. Thank goodness for Skype! but I have been in my room talking on the computer and watching shows.

Some of the things that I have heard that has happened during the day today. There was a drive by shooting that happened just 20 minutes away from where I live. Some unknown people burnt down a building where injured protesters were (a make shift hospital of sorts). Young men called Tatushiks walk around doing small crimes because the police are not doing anything. The metro is still shut down. people are under the belief that they are transporting weapons through the underground.  as if this was not enough, now they have blocked off all roads across the river and have started to shut down roads around the town as well. I am officially locked into the city. I can't leave even if I wanted to.  

My host family has been clearly upset by this whole thing as well. My host brother, Colia, the 3 year old, has been acting odd since last night, throwing tantrums and crying fits without a reason. I believe he knows what’s happening as well and shows his fear in a different way then all of us.

For weeks I have said to my friends and family, “I feel safe”. However within the past couple days I have not been able to say this with much confidence.

 It’s really sad for them because here I am a foreigner in this area and I can go home whenever I want to. My home is safe. This however is their home and the government is crumbling right under their feet.  It’s scary to see them for the first time, not know what tomorrow will look like.

One thing is for sure, there is no bright light out of this tunnel anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment