Sunday, March 16, 2014

house arrest take two and..... action.


This weekend I was supposed to be in Lviv, sunny, warm Lviv. As you can tell I did not make it to this lovely place. On Friday morning I got an email from the head director of ILP saying that we are to remain in the city for the weekend because of the referendum. I spent $30 on the train ticket and I never got to use it and sadly, I don't get a refund. Of course I was a bit mad at this email but at least we got the chance to see Lavra on Saturday.

This church was just about 1,000 years old. It was absolutely amazing. It wasn't spectacular, like covered in gold or anything but it was just amazing because of the history of it all. We explored some caves under the church with mummified monks and the only light was from the candles we held in our hands. because it was a church one of the monks yelled at me in Russian for wearing my skating pants so lucky me, I used my scarf as a skirt. it looked like a kilt. I was probably the most fashionable person there. but he didn't just yell at me, he yelled at almost every girl that was wearing pants. the others got to use tie skirts that the church provided. We also hiked up a hill to see the view of the whole town of kiev. It was magical even though it was cold and threatening to rain soon.

Now today is Sunday and we are under house arrest, take two. at least we got to go to church in the morning. It’s been raining the whole day and windy. It’s been dismal. Me and Marilee were joking but also kind of serious saying that this was God showing his emotions towards the situation. No one knows what is going to happen tomorrow but I don't want to be under house arrest again. Been there and done that, not fun. and honestly pretty boring. I want to leave the house and walk around the town as soon as possible. I pray for peace in this country that wants it so badly. 

The government started a draft for the military here. Any able man between the ages of 18-40 will be entered into the draft to serve the country. I never thought I would see my host mom more in fear like that one day three weeks ago when there were shootings on the streets but I was wrong. she looked so worried about this, even more than three weeks ago. My host dad, he seemed cool but I could tell he is nervous about this as well because he's 38 and could be entered into the draft.

What’s scary is that I could never see my host dad in the military. He’s a chemist, he works in a lab, he’s not huge or muscular for that fact. I don't think he's even sporty. My host mom told me today that she wouldn't be surprised that ILP would get kicked out of the country soon. This was the first time she's said something about this to me. I have already made plans for if I get kicked out but I want to finish my internship.

It’s odd because my family has started to make plans for the worst, without power, without running water. This is the true meaning of food storage right here. We have been told to do this as all members of the church but they could use this now more than ever.
 
I have never looked forward to church more than I have in the past month. I find myself relying on the people there and the feelings I get while I attend. I feel safe there, comforted, calm, like everything is fine and ok. I feel really blessed that we live in a country that is stable, yes we have a cruddy president and yes we have corruption but it's not nearly as bad is it is here. I am grateful for what the Lord has given me and raised me in but I am grateful that he lead me here.
 
some of the walkways in Lavra
this had just been newly remodeled within the last 25 years or so because it was bombed heavily during world war 2
This is the older part of lavra and me looking out at it. photo creds go out to Thomas for this one. the scarf is for going into the churches.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment