Sunday, March 2, 2014

hanging out with durnk men


First day of spring was yesterday! YES! The weather should start to warm up soon. Fingers crossed. To celebrate this time of year a lot of Ukrainians go to parks to eat, drink, and be merry. So we did the most logical thing, we did the same. We went to a huge outdoor museum on the out skirts of town. it was full of old buildings that they collected from around the country to put in the park. We spent most of the day walking around and enjoying everything. It was about 15 minutes outside of the city so there were no high raises, no large buildings, just fields, lots of fields. it was hard to believe that we where not even that far from the city yet it felt so much like we where in the country.

During this time of celebration Ukrainians eat a lot of what they call "pancakes" but these are not pancakes that we are used to back in the states. These are crepes that they eat with loads of different things stuffed inside them. I had a crepe with ham and mushrooms inside, which was amazing! it tasted really great, but it was also freezing outside so it warmed me up a little. I also had this mushroom soup that was great as well! With all the food I ate I only spent about $2.50. Something I love about Ukraine is that the food here is cheap. No matter where you go, it is all affordable, even if you go to a sit down restaurant for sushi it's only going to cost you $10. Yesterday was cold, really cold with the high of only about 29 F and so the hot food was great. I also was super smart and forgot gloves so I loved holding the food to try to heat my hands.

Not only did we eat great food but we also got to ride a carriage around the whole park for only a dollar for each person that rode with us. I love that some things here are so cheap, it's fantastic! It was relaxing just to sit down see what the park had to offer without walking around the whole thing by ourselves. It was really huge and I don’t think I even saw all of it.

 I guess normally the first day of spring there is still snow on the ground so it was odd that there was nothing even though it was cold. A lot of our group left at two but I and a few other people stayed until four. We decided to rough it and look around some more even though we were all freezing. When the rest of the group left we walked around a little and ended up hanging out with some slightly drunk Ukrainian men. There was a bit of a language barrier but it was really kind of fun to see how they partied and seemed to forget what was going on in their country, just for a little bit. They kept on offering us Vodka and we kept on refusing however they did give us pancakes witch was cool. They were really funny, all seemed to flirty and I don’t think I’ll forget that memory any time soon.
 
Needless to say it was great to enjoy life and good friends after being under house arrest last weekend. Because sadly I don’t know how many days I’ll have like that in this country

the men that we partied with :) pretty cute if I do say so myself.
 
carriage ride with the whole group!
 
more of us

No comments:

Post a Comment