Saturday, January 25, 2014

first week of work!


First week of work. Well for start off it was crazy! The kids are a hand full but I’m starting to get the hang of it. It’s just a different way of teaching that I’m use too and it’s only going to take time to learn the right way. You have to be on your toes but I think the hardest thing is, trying to get them to learn more English and teach it in a way that they will learn the best. They are so much fun but after 4 hours you just want to do something mindless like watch a TV show.

There are some new things that I have found out about this city and the people that call it home. Most families eat late and so most of them go to bed late, like 12 on most nights. Even the 3 year old from the family I’m staying with goes to be at this time. I am not a night person but I have found myself often going to bed at 11. My goal is to try to go to bed maybe 30 minutes earlier.
we had our first day off today in a week. we got to walk around town and see some sights with the other teachers like some churches with gold roofs and even went to a chocolate restaurant (witch was fantastic!). we also went around the center of town and saw some barricades up and smoke rising over the cities buildings. It felt like something in a movie or a town in the middle east that you see on the news, not eastern Europe.

The protesting is getting worse here. We have been encouraged by the US Embassy to not be out after night and do not travel in large groups. I had not noticed anything wrong in the past week that I have been here. it doesn't feel like the protesting is right in this town even and how out of control it has gotten. It wasn’t until yesterday that I noticed some different things that stood out to me while going to school. There were some people wearing ribbons that had the European Union flag on it and just right across the road from the school I teach at it looked like some men where burning what looked to be a sign.  I didn't get a close view of what the sing said though.

I almost want to say “fire is catching” from the very popular Hunger Games book because that is what it feels like to me. I’m in the heart of a revolution and it’s spreading.

buildings close to the center of town have the most history and I think are the most beautiful. they look more like the western European buildings I'm use too. 

Camden and I in from of the berricades in the center where people are protesting currently. and my new fur coat! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment