Friday, January 17, 2014

first day in the city


Do you ever get those feelings that no matter how hard you try to blend in it’ll never work? That’s the way I feel right now. After a long day of travel from the city I call home to Chicago then to Frankfurt then finally to Kiev Ukraine. My first day in this lovely city of snow, well let’s start off with it’s nothing I would have ever imagined. I already crave a language that I can actually communicate to the locals with. However the locals that I have managed to talk to (that do speak good or little English) are friendly.   However it’s completely different from my culture I was born and raised in. it’s going to take a while to get used to it.

I met my host family. They are great people. There are the parents and two boys aged 11 and 3 1/2. The mom speaks English really well and so does the eldest. The youngest seems to only get the word Hi and says it with much enthusiasm to me, often. The dad works a lot and I have yet to meet him. but from what I have been told he doesn’t speak much English at all.

I honestly wasn’t expecting much from the house I was going to be staying at. I say this because Kiev is filled with lots of old high-rises, not so much of the old European housing ones that I am use too and enjoy. I was expecting them to be a little out dated however I was pleasantly surprised by the size and quality of the apartment.

 Till next time,

Darla

No comments:

Post a Comment