Monday, January 20, 2014

earmuffs and lost people


Over the course of a few days there have been some things that I have noticed that are different in America. Like for one, if a guy thinks you’re pretty he might touch you, like your coat, hair, something like that. I was on the metro a couple days ago and a random man just rubbed my ear muff. I gave him a look of sheer bewilderment and then gave the same look to my friend I was with. At home people don’t do that. It’s not normal or even sane for that matter.  I learned that you can not smile at people after they do that or even look at them. they might think you like it , so from now on I plan on keeping my eyes on no young man.

I walked home from church a couple days ago all on my own. I have lived in this town for a total of a few days  and I had the best idea to walk home alone. My host family asked if they could pick me up but I wanted to see if I could get back on my own. I thought I could. I knew I could. It should have only taken me about maybe 2 hours max (I took a longer way on purpose to drop Camden off at his metro stop.) but I got lost a couple times after I dropped him off and so it took me about 3 ½ hours to get home. At least I made it.  I ran into some friendly missionaries that helped me out as well.

I also got a chance to go shopping with Camden and a new friend Marilee. What is odd is the shopping mall is normally next to the super market or sometimes the super market is in the mall it's self. We walked around looking at random things aimlessly as we spent a couple hours there. I didn’t get anything but I am thinking about getting a fur collared coat. They are really beautiful and with my bright red pea coat I stick out like a sore thumb. If I got a fur coat I would look a little less out of place.  

I have found that over the past couple days that I have walked around that this city has started to grow on me. The simplicity of it and the little things that are beautiful catch my eye as I walk through the frozen streets. The people are friendly and helpful even though most of them don’t speak English. however most of them do not smile at you, just this death glare they give. I have not been able to reenact this face nor do I think I will ever because I can't help but walk around with a smile or a smirk on my face. But it doesn't bother me that they do not smile back at me. I hope that someday I will be able to look at people and not smile at them but it'll take some practice.
as for the protesting in the center of town, I don't even know what is happening just a few miles down the road. I saw video and heard about things getting violent but women still carry on in their glamorous fur coats and high heals and the men carry on much of the same as if nothing is wrong. or maybe they just choose to believe that things will get better. I feel safe and comfortable here just as I would if I was walking around Columbus.

for another time,
Darla 

No comments:

Post a Comment