Saturday, April 19, 2014

last post


Everything in Ukraine was so much different from what I was used to in Western Europe, different buildings, different language, and a really different culture. It took me some time to get use to all of it but once I did I really learned a lot. After a while I even started to call this place my home.  This place has stolen my heart and it's hard to leave.
Even though this was not my first choice as in internship I can say that I never thought I would learn so much and enjoy my time here so much as well! The main goal I had when I got here was to learn some Russian. however I never thought I would learn so much more. I learned how to become a better teacher, not only in English but in other subjects as well, also a better listener, and a better friend.  I have learned how to read maps better and how to be more aware of my surroundings so I don’t get lost and also to avoid bad situations when I see them.
There is loads of things that I have done here but that never feels like enough. I've partied at clubs with friends, gone to countless restaurants for dinners and lunches, seen boat loads of sights in Kiev, gone outside of the town on weekend adventures, and I have even danced with old people in metro stations. I know parts of this town like the back of my hand, able to navigate where I needed to get to without getting lost. I know some parts of this town better then my own town, Pataskala and I am completely ok with that. I feel like this is home for me and I love it.
 

My name is Darla Holland. I am 20 years old and live in Kiev Ukraine. I have been through teaching crazy little Ukrainian kids, standing awkwardly as people talk to me in Russian, a revolution, brink of war and this is my last post as in American in Kiev. tomorrow I will make my long way back home to Ohio. I will miss everything here terribly. I just wish I can put down on paper everything I learned here from this experience but then I would be writing a novel. 

I am going to miss everything here in Kiev Ukraine so much. I cannot put in words how much I will miss the things here. I have grown from this, all of it, I am a better person because of it. I am going to miss the friends I have made, the family that I call mine, the old communist buildings that I think are now beautiful, the Roshen Chocolate, and my kids that I have taught for the past 4 months. I'll miss Toma and his Pirate ships , Misha and his toothless smile and his enthusiasm for life and Spiderman, and Masha and how she tried so hard to do everything right. These kids stole my heart.

 I am frustrated at myself for going home. I should have tried harder to stay. I don't want to leave. this is not bitter sweet to me, just bitter. however I feel blessed that I have had the opportunity to be here in this time.
I have one tip for anyone who is reading this. do something unpredictable or completely different because life is too short to live in the same little town and do the same little job. learn a new language, a new skill. just go on an adventure.
it's been a blast
Darla
 

No comments:

Post a Comment