Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Birtdays, friends, and family.

This is a really short post about the friends I have made here and my birthday. everyone that is working for ILP with me is absolutely amazing! they all have their differences but I need every single one of them in my life. this trip has been life changing, it really has.

ok for my birthday, this has to be one of the best birthday weeks in a long time! I don't remember when I had such a great birthday as the one I had this year.  it just doesn't seem to end! The activities that I have done with friends this past week has been so fantastic, I just can't explain how much I have enjoyed spending time with them.

Starting off my birthday week was Saturday. First Saturdays party was filled with dancing in metros and the London Pub Bus and also the park. The day started off with the park. I ran around with friends through open fields, danced on a hill like no one was watching, and took loads of photos. 
at first I just was planning on going to the park and going home afterwards. I didn't know that we were going to the London Pub Bus, in fact everyone left the park early, leaving me and Camden alone.

I was bummed out at first when everyone left because I wanted to spend time with everyone but Camden and I had loads of fun walking around the town. He just makes me smile, that kid is so funny. I am happy that he decided to come with me to Ukraine and try something new. But eventually we made our way to the London Pub Bus. The hot chocolate is just the best hot chocolate ever. it's cheep and rich, what more do you want. but it's on a bus! I love it. one of the reasons I like it so much is because it's called London Pub I do not feel guilty for using English and that is the only restaurant that I will speak English in.

Camden wanted to get hot chocolate so we walked in to find every one of my friends there waiting for me!  Marilee planed the whole thing for me. I am just grateful that I have such a great person in my life. she is amazing. then she took me to the metro but didn't tell me where we were going. we got off the red line and made it to a metro stop close to the town center. as we got off music filled the metro and it only got loader as we made our way out. it was Metro dancing!  The dancing has to be by far my favorite that night that we did. Old men kept on asking me to dance like I was the only girl there. They would also show me new dances and how to do them, even though I do not speak Russian that well (hardly at all) I understood what they were telling me to do. The music that the live band was paying was up beat and fun. it was just really fun all together!

on Sunday I got to go out with my host family. we got to go to St. Sophia's church. it's one of the oldest churches in Europe, dating back to the 11th century. Sadly I didn't get any photos of inside the church because it wasn't allowed (fearing that the flash would damage some of the tiles) but it was breath taking because of the oldness of it. They decided not to refurbish it so the church was covered in old fading paintings on the wall as well as mosaic's and graffiti that dated back 1500's. In a way I kind of liked not taking photos because I tired to imagine a time where this church was in it's prime, when people worshiped often and feared God with all their might. it was magical. Because they didn't refurbish it, it almost like you where seeing it for the first time before anyone else.

My Birthday was on Monday and that was great as well! Marilee planed another great adventure for me. we went to a huge mall across town off the blue line. this mall has everything, including a water park. but we got to go ice skating! I used rentals but even with rentals I was able to do some tricks like Mohawks. it made me miss my skates back home for sure. We also got fish messages and ice cream! The fish message was amazing. I couldn't stop giggling for the first couple minutes because it tickled and felt funny!

After teaching my host family made me Pizza (yulya makes the best pizza ever. it is by far the best thing she makes. she won't tell me how she makes it either! :( ) and we had soda. they even got sprite for me! They know I don't like any other soda then that and they picked it out for me! they got me flowers and earrings that are so beautiful! my host mom even said she loved me! I got a little chocked up, really. I never thought I would care for them as much as I do. I love them so much! they are great people! we also had cake, witch I cut myself (I am not good at cutting cake but they wanted me to cut it). and to finish up an amazing day I helped Maxim (my host brother) with a piƱata he had to make for school. needless to say, one of the best birthdays I have had in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment